Saturday, July 13, 2013

Of Saturday Mornings and Personal Trainers



Nothing absolutely nothing could have prepared me for my morning gym session with my personal trainer Gerald.

The last two sessions had been focused purely on cardio training and so naturally I thought this would be the same workout but boy was my mind and body in for the shock of its life.

The gym session which we dubbed the point of reference session was designed to test my body to see to what extremes it would go needless to say it did not go far and my body was left in shock most likely the way a death row inmate's body would feel after an electrocution. Maybe not the best example to give but that's how I felt after only 30 mins of this session.

While it was not a challenging workout on paper my mind was simply not prepared. My mind was stuck in the old routine so the workout was such a challenge with my mind fighting with my body it was kind of a negotiation with my mind saying I ain't got time for this while my body to some extent was willing to try.

The work out included doing a 3 minute warm up run on the treadmill naturally I ran at high speed as I assumed that's all the running I d do for the day, turns out Gerald had something else in mind

Next stop I had to run for a kilometer at 8,5 speed on the treadmill and measure my pulse afterwards. That done I assumed that was over. I managed to clock a kilometer in just under 7 minutes. Next was more running. The kilometer non stop at high speed seemed like the longest kilometer I had run and was glad that was over. Only to be told I now had to run for 12minutes straight at high speed which was between 8,5-8 speed. If there was anyday I wished I hadn't pitched at the gym it was today. I had given up mentally but my body was willing to try. I had Gerald standing next to the treadmill the whole time while in my mind I was trying to get myself to do it. Luckily enough I had my music with me so my playlist kept me going. I got to 7 minutes and slowed down for a minute then picked up again in the ninth minute all the way to twelve.

I was so relieved as we got to 12 minutes which was 1,5km. The bones between my knees and ankles felt like they were going to break at this point. I was in pain!

I was ready to leave at this point but there was more in store next up we went onto the mat, my worst nightmare. I had to do as many push-ups in a minute and proper push ups at that. Now these are not exactly my favorite but I was prepared to try. Started on the mat and my hands felt like jelly! I had to bend my arms to 90 degrees doing it the proper way and bring my chest all the way to the ground. I struggled, felt like I was carrying the whole world on my back! Managed 10 in the minute.

Next up was sit-ups, these were manageable but still a struggle. I managed only 20. At this point I was literally gritting my teeth! The trainer recorded all the key details pulse and all the technical stuff and even gave me some words of encouragement and showed me some articles off his iPad. His wise words. It's all in the mind, you need to be mentally prepared for any workout and you need to be able to push your body and do a new workout all the time as the body does tend to get used to the same thing all this.

With this in mind I've braced myself for the next 6 weeks as we commence with our full on training program ! Lord help me!!

To cool off I did a 35minute cycle on the bike. That was it for Saturday morning. I was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment