Sunday, July 7, 2013

Food - The blurred lines


Food – The blurred lines.

I love food, we all love food! I love to try out and taste all sorts of dishes. I’m not the typical dieter, low fat, no fat, no carb, high protein, watch and count calories kind of person, fortunately or unfortunately I just cannot keep up with all of these things and I choose not to. I love to enjoy the richness in food and I choose to enjoy any meal for what it is, whether it is a burger and fries or a salad. I don’t believe in starving myself to lose weight or sticking to a particular type of food to lose weight because in the long run I feel that it is just not sustainable to eat only certain items to maintain that all too perfect figure, some may call it indiscipline but I choose to enjoy my food without feeling guilty about the calories in my meal, after all there those who don’t even get to choose the type of food they can eat and are only grateful to have even that carb or protein or fat we opt out of.  For a person on a weight-loss journey I know that sounds heck a load of foolishness.

So where exactly do I fit into the food spectrum? Well, I believe you can watch calories, quantities and hormones but please just eat. Eating kick starts your metabolism. Starvation blunts your metabolism and affects your weight. I do believe in healthy eating. For me a healthy balanced diet is not about high anything. It’s not high protein, not high fats and not high carbs. For me it’s about a moderate intake of carbs, fats and proteins. Is it sustainable, I believe it is, for me it is? I have opted on taking this approach for my weight loss journey and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Health, energy and effective nutrition are achievable, but only when you realise you have the power to achieve them. Eating healthily is not complicated and does not create a difficult lifestyle. You should not have to fret with things like weighting your foods, fussing around meals or restricting yourself.

All the above said, I do have some healthy food principles which I hope can help all those trying to establish a good relationship with food while also watching their figures;

1. Eat the best quality foods you can afford i.e. good quality proteins, low-GI carbohydrates and ‘good’ fats such as avocados, olive oil.
 

2. When possible, eat fresh produce, this normally reduces the intake of additives and preservatives, eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
 
3. Increase your intake of fibre
 

4. Reduce and moderate refined foods as they have less nutritional value. try and have home cooked meals which you can moderate on cooking methods
 

5. Try by all means reduce the foolish fats, you can still enjoy these but in moderation
 

6. Drink fresh water and herbal teas, moderate your caffeine intake.
 
 

Above all else, enjoy your food!! J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment