When the year started off, I never
could have imagined myself becoming an avid runner, but I shocked myself with
my very first run and I’ve been running since then. There’s something about
running that is just so addictive, it’s always a challenge to prove to myself I
can go further each time and with each record I break I feel great and
liberated.
When I found out about the Nike We Run
Jozi 10km race the entry into this competition had closed. I was excited when I
saw an email in my inbox from Vitality letting me know that I could win
possible entry into the race if I ran 5km and uploaded the run via Nike plus.
That weekend I set out on a 5km run that ended as a 8.70km run with the local
running club. The following Monday afternoon I squealed with excitement as I got
an email confirming that I had qualified to get a special entry via Vitality to
get into the race and I managed to get my sister in as well which made it even
more exciting.
The week would now be filled with
preparations for the race! Unfortunately, I never managed to get all the
training time I would have wanted but nonetheless I was determined to do this.
This would be my first official 10km night run in the City and I was in it to
finish it!
Race day came Saturday 12 October
2013. I was super excited so was my sister, we geared up early so that we could
get to the race on time. Just getting into the running shirt which was personalised
with our names was just amazing, the reality that we would actually do that run
sunk in and a certain level of nervousness set in, but that was not to be a
deterrent!
When we arrived at the venue, the
atmosphere was amazing, the vibe, the levels of excitement among the runners
was just electric! Everyone there was super excited to be taking part in the
biggest night race in the country and there was a sense of pride knowing that
we would be the one in ten thousand people moving the inner city of
Johannesburg CBD.
We all got into the line to start
the race, there were thousands of people but we managed to worm our way through
the crowds and get closer to the front. The race began and it was amazing!
There was a huge, beautiful fireworks display which made it all even more
exciting. We decided to pace ourselves so that we wouldn’t run out of energy.
After the first two kilometres I felt
side pains, that was the first hurdle and I decided that I would continue going
no matter what came my way, I walked and jogged a bit and it seemed to get
better, at this point my dear sister was cruising way ahead and I let her go
ahead as she would be my personal marker.
The race took us from the M1
south past Mooi street and into Joe Slovo into the notorious Hillbrow area of
Johannesburg CBD. Hillbrow is known for its high levels of crime, and for being
home to many immigrants that start off in the country when they first arrive, it’s
by no means the ‘burbs’ that a lot of us are used to. The buildings are once
glorious but now run down, there’s a lot of street art in the form of graffiti,
and it is home to one many drug lords and gangs, I could go on about Hillbrow
but one thing that struck me about the place was the people. I never would have
imagined setting foot in Hillbrow but I did because of the run. Hillbrow was
alive with its entire people screaming and cheering the runners on. There was
loud music blurring from all corners and there was even a water point within
the inner city location. The people of Hillbrow had welcomed us and when many
of the participants felt like giving up, they cheered us on.
On the last leg of the race, I felt
like giving up but I was determined to do this. As I approached the Nelson
Mandela Bridge which was beautifully coloured I knew we would be getting to the
finish line and I had to press on. I like many people around me was super
exhausted but it was the last final stretch and although I was not in it to win
it I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. As I saw the finish line and
the timer on the side, I began to run with all the little ounce of energy I had
left within me! I had done it and was super proud of myself! I got through the
finish line at exactly 1 hour 30 minutes……not bad for a novice runner and first
time night race!
Everyone was relieved that they
had done it and completed the race without a hitch! I for one was glad it was
done, I could relax and my then my nerves had calmed down. I managed to locate
my sister who had managed to clock in 15 minutes before me doing a total run of
1hour and 15 minutes. Impressive. As the night came to an end, I could happily
say that we came, we ran and we conquered! We had moved the city of Jozi and we
had run this town! Next 10km race….I see you J
No comments:
Post a Comment